Friday, October 17, 2008
Week 8!
This week has been a wacky because I got out of routine due to fall break. I went home and visited my family in Mississippi. The break was so short, and I do not feel like I even left VSU. Today, it feels like Tuesday and not Friday, so I am really behind on some paperwork and other things. Well, this week was about the Big 6 Skills that help with processing information in an efficient manner. The first skill is task definition, and that is about identifying what to do. Skill two is information seeking strategies that is concerned with what can you use to find the information you need. The third skill is location and access, and this is the place to get the information. Next, the fourth skill is about the use of information, which deciding what information to use. Now the fifth skill is synthesis, and it deals with putting the information together. Lastly, the sixth skill is the evaluation process that determines how successful you were in processing and finding information. These skills are a very basic approach, but it is very helpful when applying to a research project. I looked at two article about how they used the Big six in activities to help with learning a new task. One of the articles was about a rap contest that the teacher used to help her students learn how to use the Internet for research. She would not let any student leave the contest until they rapped about the Big six as well. It gained some acclaim and was video-tapped and distributed to other schools to help them. The other article was concerned with resiliency among teens from six grade to twelve grade. I believe that my topic could use some things about resiliency because we are all learning how to overcome things, but I could not find anything on service learning or student organization. This week was not that bad for as work, but it was that I was out of routine. The next week should be better for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Jack, you truly are a creature of habit. Don't let that long break throw you off. Celebrate your workweek Tuesday as though it were (and actually was) a Friday!!!
Post a Comment